Monday, November 22, 2010

In case you ever wanted to know...

A few random things about me. I saw this on a friends blog, and I thought some of the questions were fun. No one tagged me, and I'm not going to tag anyone else because I think chain letters are terribly annoying, but if you feel so inspired, it would be fun to hear your answers too.

1. Who is your hero? Why?

Growing up, I would have to say my dad. He could do no wrong. He knew everything, from politics to science to random interesting facts. As I look back now, I'm sure he made some of his knowledge up on the spot, but he spoke with such confidence that it had to be true. He could do anything, from building furniture to building/remodeling our house, from stitching up a cut to beautifully tooling leather, from flying an airplane to riding a horse. , He always had time for me. He read stories to my sister and I, and continues to read stories to my kids. He took us camping, fishing, hiking, cliff jumping, on vacation to Disneyland, on vacation driving across half of Mexico, and so many other fun and exciting experiences. He was and still is amazing.

Now, however, my dad has to share his pedestal. My grown up hero would have to be my husband, David. David is amazing. He is very talented. He can do so many things, and when he does something, he always does it well. He finished our basement and landscaped our yard, both of which were done very beautifully and professionally. He is great at many different sports. He is an amazing artist and creates breathtaking works of art. But the main reason David is my hero is how well he takes care of me and the kids. He works long hours a work providing for us, and then he comes home and helps out around the house. He treats me like a queen. He is always worried about my comfort, but takes very little thought for his own. I am never in doubt that he loves me.

2. When you were a little tyke, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I wanted to be a teacher. What I would teach changed from time to time. As a young child, I wanted to be a first grade teacher. I wanted to be like my wonderful first grade teacher, Mrs. Lott. In Junior High and High School, I wanted to be a Home Ec. teacher. I wanted to teach kids how to sew.

3. What is one goal you currently have?

Well, this one isn't very big or consequential, but I would like to be able to find my way around North San Diego county without getting lost, without having to make multiple u-turns after having taken a wrong turn. I'd like to travel North on I-15 without accidentally taking the 78 interchange, not because I'm concentrating very hard on not taking it, but just because I know where I'm going, and it would be silly to even be caught in the wrong lane at that particular point on the freeway.

4. What life achievement are you most proud of?
Twenty years of a successful marriage. Marriage is tough, it's a lot of work, and in this age of disposable spouses, I think twenty years is quite an accomplishment. I am very proud of the fact that David and I are happier, more in love, and that the spark of romance is burning brighter now after 20 years than ever before in our marriage.

5. If you could do anything with your spare time, what would you do?

Do I have to pick just one thing? I have too many hobbies to pick just one. If money and school schedules and the like were no object, then I'd like to travel more. I'd like to see the world. Until the kids are up and out, however, my sights are set much lower. I'd like to have time to quilt more, to scrapbook more, to paint more, to cake decorate more. There are hundreds of different crafty things that I'd like to try my hand at, but there just aren't enough hours in the day.

6. What is your best physical feature?
I'm thinking my legs. I get lots of compliments on my calves especially. I inherited them from my mom. They are very muscular and defined, and I have skinny knees and ankles. At least that's what others tell me.

7. What is the most important thing your parents ever taught you by example?
So many things! First, with hard work and persistence I can do anything I want to, and if I do something, I should do it well. If I don't know how, I should put effort in, and learn how. Second, everything I have was given to me by God. I shouldn't be selfish with or prideful about what I have. I should always be grateful, and I should show that gratitude by serving God and those around me. Third, wonderful people come in many different packages. People that others might think are odd or eccentric often make the best, truest and most enjoyable friends.

8. Why do you think the Mormon church is true?
I believe that the Mormon church is the re-established original church of Jesus Christ that he organized while he was on the earth. I have many reasons why I believe it is true. They all come down to basically the same thing. I have received confirmation from God that it is. This has come in many different ways. I have received an answer to the direct questions "Is this church true?", "Is the Book of Mormon true?", and "Is Thomas S. Monson a prophet?". I have received direct answers to my prayers from God, inspiration and knowledge that I could not have known on my own that saved my marriage. I have received answers to my prayers while reading the Book of Mormon. Answers that are so specific, even down to the use of the same words that I used in my prayers, that there is no possible way that it could be a coincidence. I have received answers to my prayers while listening to speakers in church, in General Conference, in other church meetings, again that are breathtakingly specific and personally relevant. And finally, it just make sense to me. There is a God, who loves his children, who still speaks to them and guides them through modern day prophets.

1) What is one food you hated as a child, but as an adult you now enjoy?
I hated everything as a child, and love most everything now. Cooked carrots, sweet potatoes, mustard, saurkraut, brocoli, cantaloupe, bleu cheese, etc.

2) Favorite memory growing up?
Hanging out with my family. We did all kinds of things together: board games, hiking, river rafting, water skiing, running, reading, Dad reading the Sunday morning "Funnies" to us, etc. I really had an idyllic childhood.

3) Craziest thing you've ever done and/or seen happen?
Jump off a 63 foot cliff into the water on Mustang Ridge at Flaming Gorge with my dad and sister. I was probably 13. It took me about 30 minutes to get up the nerve to actually do it, but it was awesome!

4) If you could choose any super power, what would it be?
I always answer "fly" when asked this question. Why? I don't know, because it would be really cool. It always is when I can fly in my dreams, except when I get tangled up in power lines.

5) Favorite book, and why?
I adore so many books, it's so hard to choose. All I ask of a book is that it entertain me, and that it keep itself reasonably clean. I can't stand steamy romances or swear words in every other sentence. I'd have to say that my two favorite books are Twilight, by Stephanie Meyer and Ender's Game, by Orson Scott Card. Both made me laugh out loud, cry until my nose ran, and stay up well into the night to find out what happened next.

6) Why did you choose the major/degree/career that you did?
I always wanted to be a teacher, and I loved volunteering in my kids classes, so it seemed natural to work in a school helping kids.

8) Paper or plastic?
This problem is one that I have actually given serious consideration. Which is better? I don't know. Paper kills trees, plastic fills landfills and doesn't biodegrade. Plastic has nice convenient handles, paper doesn't squish the bread. Decisions, decisions. I guess the best answer would be to bring my own cloth bags, which I actually own. Some day I will be organized enough that I will actually remember to put them into the car before I go to the store, and then remember to take out of the car and into the store. Until that day though, I usually get a combination. Paper for eggs, chips and bread, plastic for everything else.

1 comment:

So much Love! said...

Very fun to know you more. As for the paper or plastic...i'm chuckling because you mentioned cloth but obviously Cali news isn't talking about how it harbors bacteria and can make you sick. ;) Just wash them every now and then. Nothing can be perfect.