It's an amazing thing how children seem to grow at a steady pace, and then magically they grow up overnight. I experienced this once before with Mariasha, but it's still just as shocking the second time around. It's a time of such mixed feelings. I want the world for my children. I have tried to teach them to be independent, to be able to take care of themselves, but it's hard not to feel obsolete when they start to do just that. I feel like a bird, who's babies are edging toward that first, and hopefully not final, steep drop. I want them to fly, but at the same time I want to wrap them in my arms and protect them from the world.
Even Kallai and Taliah are growing up. They don't need me to hold their hand to cross the street, or even walk them to their friends house anymore. They don't need me to help them get dressed or make their breakfast. For the first time I can look ahead and really see the end of this time in my life, really comprehend the possibility of having all of my children grown. And for the first time I understand those parents who don't want their children to grow up. I have always been excited for each new adventure in my children's lives, the first day of school, the first scout camp, the first date. I didn't understand the parents who clung to their children and didn't want to let them get on the bus.
But now I can see it will end all too soon. A mother is the center of her child's universe. There is a unique mix of joy and sadness to realize I am not the most important person in some of my children's lives anymore, and to know that my days as MIP (most important person) are numbered for the rest. I know this is right and good, but I still might shed a tear over it.
My advice, hold your children close. Before you know it, they won't be children anymore.
2 comments:
wow, the kids really are growing up. I can't believe how big they are getting. Mari looks beautiful in that dress! Wow!!!!! I"m sorry we couldn't be there for Taliah's baptism. I wish we could have been.
Tammy- I love your blog. You do a great job helping your readers feel and see the emotion you display with your pictures and descriptions.
Post a Comment