I'm not big on New Year's Resolutions, because I think it is so cliche to make them and break them. It seems to me that they are made with the intention that they will only last a few weeks or months. I try to make goals and changes in my life as needed throughout the year, and just have fun on New Years Day.
That being said, I do seem to fall into the trap of New School Year Resolutions. The start of school seems to be a natural time to raise the bar in my life, get on a schedule, get organized. Unfortunately, my New School Year Resolutions often last about the same amount of time as the more traditional ones. I set my sights so high for myself that even though I start out strong on that first Monday, by Friday morning, I'm so exhausted that I don't want to get out of bed. I've repeated this exercise for about 5 years now. Starting out looking like the "perfect" mother, and ending up within a month or two, trying to scramble to keep up with my runaway life. I've heard that insanity is doing the same thing over and over, but expecting a different result. Well, I've always suspected that I was missing a few marbles, and now I'm proving it, by setting a long list of New School Year Resolutions again this year.
I am changing things a little, though. I have a slightly different game plan. First I'm setting my sights a little lower. Mostly, I want to do the things I already do, just a little more consistently. I've always been "schedully" challenged. I can do something once or twice, or 5 times, but doing it every day for a month or a year is really tough for me. But along with that goal to be more consistent, I need to realize that I'm not perfect, and that's ok. If I don't get everything accomplished every day, I'm not a failure, I'm just normal. If I miss a day, it's ok, as long as I only miss every once in a while. The Flylady, an internet cleaning and organization guru, says "Housework done imperfectly still blesses your family." I have a hard time believing that myself, but I'm trying to make it my new mantra. I also have a game plan for that Friday morning slump. I plan to follow the good advice given to Gordon B. Hinckley by his father. "Forget yourself, and get to work." If I muscle through the slumps, and follow through on the guidelines I have set for myself, I can turn my goals into habits. It takes 21 days to form a habit. If I can muscle through for 21 days, hopefully it will start to get easier. Maybe.
Now don't get me wrong. I'm doing all right already. I'm not a complete failure in the mother department, but I want to do better. Be better! Ok, I'll admit it, I want to be PERFECT! That's my ultimate goal. I won't get there this year, I realize that, but there's always next year, right? Right!
Here are my New School Year Goals.
*Wake up at 5:30a.m., on weekdays. No hitting the snooze, no laying in bed. Get dressed and ready before Seminary.
*Take Kallai to seminary every day. Don't let David do it. He works too hard already.
*Make lunches for everyone 4 days a week. Make sure they have lunch money for the other day.
*Clean the house before work, not after when I will be tired, and won't want to do it.
*Stay in the kitchen area while kids are doing their homework, to help them focus, and be available to help with questions.
*Check kids' homework planner and homework every day. Actually look at finished homework. Don't take their word that it is done.
*Make a nutrition dinner for the family every day, and have it on the table by 7 p.m., 6 on Wednesday. Cold cereal is not a nutritious dinner. Frozen or take out pizza is marginally nutritious, and shouldn't be served more than once a week. Don't let David make dinner. He works too hard already.
*Make sure the dishes are done and the kitchen is cleaned every night.
*No media before 6 p.m. for anyone. (Except for homework and work, of course.)
*No media before homework and chores are done.
*Work out 3-5 days a week. Make sure the kids work out with me 2-3 days a week.
*Make sure everyone flosses (and brushes) their teeth every night.
*Don't go to bed with a messy house.
*Don't leave to go anywhere with a messy house.
*Family Home Evening every Monday night.
*Date night every Friday night.
*Do something fun with the family every Saturday.
*Work with kids on Faith in God, Duty to God and Merit Badges for at least an hour on Sunday.
*Get a deep cleaning schedule up and running.
There's more that I want to do, but I wouldn't want to overwhelm myself. Wish me luck!
October in the Third Grade
8 months ago
1 comment:
I'm with you - - - doesn't it seem simple to schedule your life? But then when it comes down to it, something always seems to get in the way of my perfect schedule... the beginning of the school year is a resolution time for me as well. GOOD LUCK! And let me know how you feel in 21 days. :)
Post a Comment