Saturday, June 11, 2011

How Sweet It Is!

I learned cake decorating in 4H as a young girl.  It was a lot of fun, and a very handy skill.  I've made many birthday cakes over the years, and even some wedding cakes.  For the last few years, though, I have been really busy, so I've taken the easy route at birthdays and just made cupcakes. Well, no more!  I saw an adorable swimming pool cake, and thought, "I can do that!"  Here is my version of the pool cake.  I think I did pretty well. 

My friend Renee saw it and asked me to help her make a cake for her daughter's birthday.  We made a Pirates of the Caribbean cake.  I love the Kraken legs.
My next attempt was Taliah's birthday cake, the first one in probably 10 years.  She had a Game Night party, so she decided she wanted an Angry Birds cake.  I have to say, I LOVE fondant!  It is so fun to play with.  It's like playing with a grown up version of play dough.
With several successes under my belt, I started to get cocky.  When Renee asked me to help her again, I suggested we do a topsy turvy cake.  A topsy turvy cake is a multi-layer cake that has slanted layers, so it looks like it's going to fall over.  I watched a tutorial on youtube, and it didn't look too complicated.  Apparently, I was wrong.  As I tried to frost the sides, they kept crumbling away.  The more I worked, the worse it got, until finally I threw in the towel.

We baked another cake and did the cake we had planned, just without the topsy turvyness.  I will conquer the topsy turvy cake eventually, but maybe I need to get a few more cakes under my belt first.

 

I'm trying to catch up, so I have several new posts.  Don't stop here, keep reading!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

I am impressed! That swimming cake is so, so cute. I stared at it for a full minute, I think. :)