Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Swimsuit Heaven

I hate buying swimwear! I delay buying swimwear for as long as possible, but eventually my swim suit betrays me and I am forced to choose between the torture of finding a new one or the embarrassment of wearing a stretchy, saggy, transparent old one.
Facing myself in next to nothing before a three way mirror is never fun, but my real complaint is that most stores have nothing for me to choose from! Take Target for example... Target has about 30 swimsuit styles in their store. That's plenty, one might think, but they would be wrong.
I want a modest swim suit, one that I can be comfortable in when swimming with my 16 year old son. One that he can look at me in without both of us being embarrassed. Of the 30 suits at Target, 20 of them are out because they are tiny little bikinis, and have less fabric than a dish towel. Another 5 of them are out because they have plunging neck lines that bare all of my cleavage, plus a few inches for good measure. Then there is the newest style of one-piece swim wear makes no sense to me at all... it covers the belly button, and pretty much nothing else! It's out! FOUR. For me, Target has FOUR suits to choose from. And while four of the thirty suits will pass my modesty criteria, I also want to look cute in my swim suit. (Yes, I realize that I am demanding.) Suit designers seem to think that swim suits have to be either tiny or ugly. The 2 hideous suits, (the black one with the knee length skirt, and the bizarre hawaiian print one that screams ugly), are out. Finally, I spy the one or two suits in the store that are both cute, and modest. I drag 3 different sizes of each to the dressing room, none of which really fit me. Then off I go to the next store to repeat my nightmare again.
I finally got desperate enough to try shopping online, knowing full well that I can't buy without trying on. Knowing that I would return every single thing I ordered. But then I found it! I discovered the answer to my swimsuit dilemma.
Everyone else probably knows about it already, but I didn't, and I'm so excited about it that I have to share! I found my swimsuit heaven! It's a little local swimsuit shop called Hapari. They only have 4 styles to choose from, but every single one passes both my cuteness and modesty criteria. Add to that the fact that each style comes in about 10 different fabrics, and suddenly I have 40 different swimsuits to choose from! When I tried them on, they fit great too! Their prices are a bit higher than Target, but in my opinion, it was definitely worth it! If my sad tale is at all familiar to you, you should check out hapari at www.hapari.com

4 comments:

April said...

That's great! I can't wait to check it out! By the way, I totally know what you mean about Target swim-wear!
-April

Melanie said...

I totally agree, it is hard to find a swimsuit that you will feel comfortable acutally wearing in public! I will check out that website. Thanks!

So much Love! said...

Yeah! I love Hapari! Infact that swimsuit I have had for 3 years now...(giraffe print) this is the 4th year and unfortunately the top started it's see through phase on the tummy but the bottoms are still fabulous and I can wear them with many things. I can't wait to see what you chose!

Mindi B said...

That's so funny, because as I was reading your post, I thought in my mind that I've got to tell you about Hapari, then I kept reading and saw that you found it - isn't it great?!!!