Why does it always seem to happen like that? I was talking to an old friend and I told her things had gotten easier since my kids were older. So much easier that I thought I could handle having another baby, not that I wanted to or intended to.
Before you get any crazy ideas... I am not announcing an addition to the family!!!!
It's just that right after I said that, life came crashing in. I feel like I am barely keeping my head above water. It's almost like life heard me and said, "You think it's easy? Well, I can fix that."
To start off with, Mariasha, my not-as-independent-as-she-thinks-she-is adult child, got a speeding ticket, and then 15 minutes later the timing belt in her car broke while she was on the freeway, causing $2000+ in damages. Of course, she can't afford to pay for the speeding ticket OR the car repairs, but our household can't function with only two cars, so the auto fairy, aka dad, is footing the bill. This put us down to 2 cars for a week or more while it is getting fixed. Oh the joys of carpooling.
The next thing that happened is that school started. Gone are the lazy days of summer. Gone are the great swaths of time when there is nothing to do. Gone are the spur of the moment trips to the pool, or the park, or a bike ride. They have been replaced with amazing amounts of homework. It's only the second week of school, and already we are are spending hours getting the homework done.
Then comes the sports. Soccer has started, and Kallai and Taliah are both on soccer teams. Jordan has taken up Cross Country. I am all for it. I'm glad my kids are physically active, and are learning to work as part of a team. It's just that I happen to be the chauffer, which is fine, except the crazy overlapping schedules are making it difficult to get anything else accomplished.
My schedule the other day went like this:
3:00- Arrive home from work, help Taliah with homework
3:30- Kallai arrives home, help him with homework
4:00-Take Kallai to soccer, Jordan arrives home, check his homework schedule (I don't "help" him with homework... I don't understand his homework!)
4:30:-Take Jordan to work (30 min round trip)
5:00- Make dinner, feed myself and Taliah, then put dinner in fridge
6:00-Take Taliah to soccer
6:30 Pick Kallai up from soccer, take him home to change and eat
6:50-Take Kallai to Scouts
7:00-Pick up Taliah, help her with piano practice while cleaning and doing laundry
8:30-Kallai arrives home, help with homework
8:45-Go pick up Jordan from work
9:15-Feed Jordan dinner
9:30-Drop into bed exhausted.
Now I know I'm whining a little. I know many people have it worse than I do. I am very blessed. I just want to state for the record... I don't have it under control. Not even close! And next time I will be smart enough to recognize that fact BEFORE the avalanche hits.
7 comments:
No one ever has it all under control. I'm interested to see how not in control I am in a few weeks. I will be getting curve ball after curve ball thrown at me. Sounds like at least you're organized and know where everyone is supposed to be and when. That's got to count for something right?
My goodness! You certainly have a busy life. Even when you know that your life is beautiful, it's okay to have a human moment of complaint now and again. Your kids are really lucky people.
Try having ONE car for the whole family, with a 16-year-old needing a car and a hubby who rides his bike to work! :D Still, I understand the million things to remember and do, and feel like I am sinking a lot of the time! Chin up, it will get better! (((HUGS)))
Julia
oh so feel your pain! You just want the best for your kids and when you have more than one scheduling is grueling! Good luck with all of it I hope it gets easier for you:)
I'm sure that once you get into the swing of things it will get better. The changes are always hard.
Sorry to hear about the speeding ticket and the timing belt. Car troubles are no fun.
Girl, I wish I was closer to help you out! I got a little taste of what you are going through when I went to take care of Teri's kids. Holy Cow that woman is as crazy as you are! It's the blessings of having a enjoying the fun moments that keep us going isn't it. How was the boating trip?
Sounds like my life.... running and running
Catch your breath, try to arrange car-pooling and enjoy life!
That's the best advice I can muster up!
How is the new calling going?
Post a Comment