

A quarter century ago a blonde, blue eyed girl moved in 4 houses up the street from me. I had seen her around school a bit, but we weren't friends. Far from it. She thought I was a teacher's pet brown noser. I thought she was stuck up. Living so close together gave us a better perspective. Soon we were attached at the hip. We had sleepovers and watched chick flicks and music videos all night, jumped on the trampoline together, obsessed about boys, gossiped about back-stabbing girls, all of the things young teen girls will do. We were great friends. All too soon she moved away. We kept in touch for a while. I even flew to visit her for a week the next summer, but eventually we lost touch.
Just last week, I got a friend request on facebook. I couldn't believe my eyes. My long lost friend had found me! Even better, I learned that she has lived less than 15 minutes away from me for the last 7 years. I went and had lunch with her today. I was a little nervous, because I'm not that great at chit chatting. I wondered if there would be lots of awkward silences. I even told Mariasha where I was going, and who I would be with. I told her it was "In case she ends up being a crazy person and she murders me or something." My fears were totally unfounded. We had so much fun together! We haven't seen each other in over twenty years, but it felt like we had been friends forever.
I officially love Facebook! If not for Facebook, we probably would have continued living near each other without knowing it for years. Obviously, with any program like this, you need to be cautious, but I really think it is great! If for no other reason, because it got me back in touch with Julia!
Just last week, I got a friend request on facebook. I couldn't believe my eyes. My long lost friend had found me! Even better, I learned that she has lived less than 15 minutes away from me for the last 7 years. I went and had lunch with her today. I was a little nervous, because I'm not that great at chit chatting. I wondered if there would be lots of awkward silences. I even told Mariasha where I was going, and who I would be with. I told her it was "In case she ends up being a crazy person and she murders me or something." My fears were totally unfounded. We had so much fun together! We haven't seen each other in over twenty years, but it felt like we had been friends forever.
I officially love Facebook! If not for Facebook, we probably would have continued living near each other without knowing it for years. Obviously, with any program like this, you need to be cautious, but I really think it is great! If for no other reason, because it got me back in touch with Julia!
5 comments:
That cool about Kallai! I probably need to try this facebook thing that everyone is talking about. Tell Mari, Hi!
-April
I agree with you! I have reconnected with tons of people from my past and it has been a blast! Facebook is wonderful!
What a great oportunity for you guys to reconnect. Love that FB!
That's awesome that you got back in touch with her. I too have been able to get back in touch with some friends and old roommates! How fun that you guys had such a great lunch together.
My friend from 5th Grade found me and we hadn't talked to each other for 20 years either. Very similar story. We are going to dinner together next week...lunch wouldn't be long enough for us to catch up...we both talk to much! :)
Post a Comment