Well I just saw the Twilight movie, and... SIGH!
I am a huge fan of the books, (I've read them an embarrassing number of times). I wanted so badly to love the movie, I really did. I tried to ignore the previews in which the bad guy seemed pretty lame. I tried to overlook the magazine cover that I saw with Edward and Bella on the front looking very goofy. I thought about going to opening night so the crowd's excitement could carry the movie for me, but I just couldn't swing it. Then the reviews started coming in. My sister and my sister in law didn't really like it, but I was encouraged to see that most of my friends did. I thought maybe if I didn't expect very much, then I wouldn't be too disappointed. But it just wasn't to be.
Twilight is just another good book gone bad movie. I liked Edward ok, though he was a little angry for my taste. Bella wasn't that bad either. And during the few kissing scenes I could see the chemistry that led to them being cast together, but the kisses were few and far between. I'm sure it's hard as a screenwriter to decide what details are vital, and what needs to be left out, but I don't understand why all the witty banter between them was cut, and all of the detailed explanations were left in. On top of that, the vampires were all very bizarre, I wish they had just acted normal. Jasper reminded me of someone every time I say him, but it took me until a few hours after the movie to put my finger on who. I think he took his inspiration from Jonny Depp in either Edward Scissorhands or Willy Wonka. And the bad guy was every bit as lame as he looked on the previews. On the bright side, I really liked Bella's dad. All in all, it wasn't a terrible movie, I've seen worse. But it wasn't nearly as good as it should have been.
Sigh. Sigh! SIGH! I'm going to go read the book again so I can get my Twilight fix.
October in the Third Grade
8 months ago
8 comments:
I really wish they would have cast Edward better, Jasper too. Rosalie is beautiful in real life, but not as a curly blond hair type. Carlisle could have been cast better too. Oh well. I actually really liked James though. Charlie was awesome and Bella was ok. Jasper always looked constipated to me. Why didn't they leave in all of Carlisle's history? I thought that was pretty vital to the movie. Weren't we supposed to learn about the Volturi in this one too? Whatever. They should have just let it be a book or found better screewrtiers, actors, directors, producers, and more money!!!!!!!
Tammy I'm sorry the movie wasn't all you wanted it to be. I did enjoy it but I have only read the books one time. It was fun to be there on opening day with bug. However she didn't like it as much as I did and she has read the books over and over. Maybe the key here is to just read the book one time.
I agree... I did love Charlie but at first I was like he is a little too young, but I think he was my favorite. Edward grew on me, he is just not my Edward and for Jasper what the... I didn't really like Bella either, she was just to... something...not sure but not quite right. I did however like James. I do wish there was more detail I think it would have made the connection better. I am reading them again as well to get my fix... Books are always better!
Tammy- Thank you for figuring out who Jasper was reminding me of. It was Johnny Depp in all his quirky movies!!!! Oh that was bugging me. Saw it last night. We all laughed through the baseball scene. Edward was cool, a little intense, but that's who he is I guess. Sophie
I finally gave in and read the books this past week. In fact, I am coming off the high from finishing book 4 within the past few hours! I am going to see the movie on Friday and I have heard mixed reactions. I'm interested to see it all myself!
I am going with some of my girls on Saturday. I will have to let you know what I think?... I have only read them all once too.
Never read Twilight and most likely won't and I'm not too apologetic about that either. Not a big vampire fan. But anyway, I do love to read and watch movies. I have to say though, based just on advertising and trailers alone, I would not have paid the theatre price to watch this movie (even if I was a fan). Thank-you Tammy, now I can save my money by not renting it!
I started reading book one again, and really realized how poorly Edward's part was played. In the book, Edward was always chuckling, smiling, and cracking jokes at Bella. Sure he was tortured inside, but that didn't stop him from being amused with life. Conversly, Edward was happy for approximately 2 minutes of the 2 hour movie!
Post a Comment