Monday, November 10, 2008

I can run three miles...

I can run three miles... three miles is nothing! That's what I told my body as I passed the small orange cone with a 10 written on it. My body didn't believe me. It knew I was trying to trick it into forgetting the 10 miles it had already run. But it remembered each and every step that had brought me to this point, and it didn't want to take any more. Luckily, I am in charge, not my body, because I did take another step, and another, and another, until tired and sore, but very satisfied, I crossed the finish line.

Sound fun? It was! Last weekend I went with four of my closest friends to run in the Snow Canyon 5k and Half Marathon, and I had a blast!





We got off to a bit of a shaky start. First, Tammy misunderstood when we were leaving, and had about 5 minutes to throw some things in a bag. (In this post, when I say Tammy, I am talking about my friend, not me.) Later, we stopped in Beaver to get some squeaky cheese. The cheese was great, the cop pulling me over for speeding down Main Street... not so great. Who would have thought that a Main Street would only have a 30 mph speed limit? I was fortunate that he was in a good mood. Then, as we pulled in to Saint George, Shanon realized that she had forgotten her running shoes! Luckily, we had a shoe expert along (Tammy), and she helped Shanon pick out a pair that were even better than the ones she forgot. Everything worked out ok, and all the little mishaps just made the trip more memorable.




Tammy and I ran in the Half Marathon together (13.1 miles). It was a beautiful trail through a red rock canyon. Tammy is a stronger runner than me, and could have gotten a better time, but she stayed with me, and encouraged me at the end. Thanks Tammy! My time was 1:55.26. Not quite as good as my last Half, but I'll take it. I finished 95th out of 364 women, and 26th out of 77 in my age bracket.




Shanon, Sophie and Anna ran in the 5k (3.2 miles). This was a first race for all of them, and they did great! I am so proud of them! After the races were done, Tammy led us in some Yoga to help us cool us down and stretch out. It was fun to try something new. Anna had to balance out the Yoga with Diet Coke and Doritos, just to be sure her body didn't go into shock from too much healthy stuff! ;o)




Later that night we ate some great sushi at Benja Thai. Not as good as Yapona, but is anything as good as Yapona? Tammy bravely tried the California roll and the Volcano roll, but flatly refused to try eel or anything raw. She was a good sport. We played some games, swam in the pool, and talked for hours! This was my first girls weekend ever, and I had so much fun! We talked about making it a yearly tradition, and I really hope that happens. Thanks, ladies, for all the great memories!

6 comments:

Angie said...

Wow, congrats on an awesome run. I have never or ever plan to make running a habit of mine. No thank you. What a great girls trip though! You definitely need those. Sounds like an awesome trip, mishaps and all!!!!!!

humming fun said...

Tammy I love you. Your a great friend now if I could just get to to have a Diet Coke now and then.

Anonymous said...

What a great time to get to run a 1/2 with my best pal! I had such a great time as well and it was fun getting to know everyone else! And thanks for talking me up, but no, I really don't think I could have pushed those poor legs of mine any harder. You'll be pleased to know that you have converted me to sushi (the cooked variety, for now). I took my family to Benja Thai Monday night and we all enjoyed another great meal. Looking forward to the next 1/2-oh, and are u ready to join me in a training run soon?

Wendy Evans said...

So fun, you are all awesome. What a great weekend to have with your friends and doing something so great for your body at the same time. It looks like it was great weather for you as well.

Mindi B said...

You are crazy people, but how much fun!!!! Way to go!

Jessica said...

Wow, I am impressed. I think you are all amazing for participating. It sounds like a fun and wonderful weekend.