Friday, October 31, 2008

Happy Halloween!

I really like Halloween. It's one of my favorite holidays. This is probably due to the fact that there's no religious significance behind it, so there's no underlying guilt about just having fun. It's just a great excuse to party!



I got off easy in the costume department this year. Mariasha's was the only costume I had to make. She was a pirate, and I made her jacket. I made a skirt to go with it, but it turned out hideous, so I wouldn't let her wear it. I think she made a beautiful pirate. Jordan decided to be a leper. He made his own peeling skin. It looked pretty gross. Kallai was the grim reaper, with glowing red eyes, but he couldn't wear that to school, (no masks or scythes) so he went as a crazed football player. Taliah was a she-devil, and don't the red eyes in the picture fit her costume perfectly? David went as Mr. Clean, but somehow (like always) escaped getting his picture taken. I went as a football player, mainly because the night before, I decided I better dress up for school, and that's all I could come up with.
As it turned out, it was the perfect costume. Sue Ford, the teacher I work with, dressed as a school girl in her husband's old football letterman's jacket. During the costume parade, we walked together and she told everyone that I was her boyfriend and we were going steady!



Working at a school means one of the biggest parts of Halloween is the class party! We had races to see who could eat a donut off a string the fastest. Sue and I competed against each other. Sue kept shoving me to keep me from my donut, so I shoved her back, and knocked her completely over. I felt bad about knocking a grandma down, but she was ok. I would have won, but Sue cheated by eating the last of MY donut, and saying it was hers! The students loved it!



I visited Kallai's class party, and for refreshments they had insects. Real ones!
They had Bbq and cheddar flavored meal worms, salt and vinegar, and sour cream and onion flavored crickets, and chocolate covered grasshoppers.



Kallai ate a bunch. I ate two. One to be able to say that I had, the second to pose for a picture so I could prove it! Yes, that is a cheddar flavored MEAL WORM between my teeth, and yes, I actually ate it. It was crunchy, kind of hollow, and there wasn't much taste, not even cheddar. The worst part was holding it in my hand and feeling the segments and little legs. After I got over that, it wasn't that bad.




After school, I took the kids to trick or treat at David's office. Then later we went around the neighborhood. Everyone loved Kallai's glowing eyes! The kids got TONS of candy, probably 10 pounds each. I think we might put some away and bring it out in a few months when we are having a dearth of candy-filled holidays. All in all, it was a perfect Halloween.

3 comments:

Angie said...

Ew! Are you serious that those worms are real? That's disgusting!!!! All of the costumes look awesome. Way to go in the costume department. The class party looks like a lot of fun. I wish we would have had a Halloween party!

Tim and Vicky Porter said...

I can't believe you actually ate that! You are a braver woman than I am. :)

Wendy Evans said...

Yuk! I couldn't do it. Way to go... Your costumes are awesome. Great job on the jacket it is so cute.You have many hidden talents.